Seniors First to Receive New Model Diplomas After 17th Century Design

Degrees Not Requiring Latin Will Be Printed in English--Rogers and Rose Create Designs

The Class of 1935 will be the first to receive the new style of diplomas done in a seventeenth century motif, according to an announcement by Samuel E. Morison '09, professor of History, who is chairman of the committee in charge of revision. New designs will be drawn for other degrees as soon as the present supplies of these degrees are exhausted.

For many years, the University has used Latin wording on its diplomas, but it has been decided that hereafter only those degrees which need Latin to fulfill their requirements will be engraved in the traditional manner. All of the newer degrees, such as Business, Engineering, and Associate of Arts will hereafter be printed after a design by Bruce Rogers, internationally known designer.

There is a controversy in the Faculty Council at present about the future standing of the S.B. degree with a possibility that the requirements will be changed to make it a pure science degree and eliminate the present situation whereby the greatest number of S.B. degrees are granted by the English and Fine Arts departments.

For that reason it has been necessary to leave the question of a new form for the science degree in abeyance until the committee which is considering it can report to the Faculty next fall.

All the Arts degrees will be in seventeenth century style, but the wording has been left practically unchanged. The degrees for law, medicine, and philosophy will follow models used in the lats eighteenth century. Still a different design will be drawn for honorary degrees and will be ready in time for the Tercentennial ceremonies of 1936.

Pierre la Rose, one of the world's best-known and most picturesque authorities on horaldry, has re-designed the Harvard Seal, following the official blazon, but making the outlines clearer and narrowing the shield. An impression of this seal will be affixed to all Latin diplomas, but those printed in English will have the University arms emblazoned in crimson.

The other members of the committee in charge of revision are: Dean Murdock, Charles A. Coolidge '81, George L. Kittredge '82, professor of English Literature, Arthur S. Pease '02, professor of Latin, and Edward K. Rand '94, Pope Professor of Latin.