PREMATURE CONGRATULATIONS

Premature rumors that Secretary Wallace will receive an honorary degree from Harvard next week should bring forth many premature congratulations to the Corporation. Any acquaintance with the sedate lists of those whom the University has cloaked in conservative honor during the last few years makes one hesitant of accepting this report at its face value. Possibly the NRA decision makes it easier for Ropes, Gray, Boyden, and Perkins to concede a point or two.

Secretary Wallace has devoted himself to carrying out a project which many people believe to be basically wrong, the AAA. Nevertheless, he has brought such ability, courage, and sincerity to his post that few people deny him their respect and admiration.

If this degree is to be granted, the Corporation has performed a truly liberal act. It will have shown that Harvard recognizes constructive service to the country, whether it be right or wrong. Should this be but a sample of the recipients, the Corporation will have redeemed its stodgy performances of the last few years.