Scoop

THE PRESS

The circulation of Hearst's newspapers must be falling off. The New York American has evidently found the Collegiate red scare insufficient and has therefore added a Fascist or "black" scare to its already horror-stricken editorial page. All in the same breath, with no hint of the fact that in itself it has recently been driving towards Fascism, it now violently and somewhat ludicrously attacks both Communism and Fascism in the schools and colleges. In heavy type, it urges American parents to "STOP SENDING THEIR CHILDREN TO INFECTED SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES AND EXPOSING THEM TO THESE POISONOUS ALIEN PLAGUES."

And so the red hunt becomes a red and black hunt and the whole is ably reduced to the ridiculous. The Hearst editors should form themselves into a hunt club with an appropriate title. A social sort of atmosphere would thereby be added to those occasions, now coming more and more into season, on which they ride full tilt across the campuses of America, mounted on such noble horses as UNAMERICAN and SUBVERSIVE and UNPATRIOTIC, and hunting down foxy Communism and Fascism. The air is already filled, so to speak, with their cries of "yoicks," and occasionally there is a 'view halloo" as they sight the brush in the form of some anti-war demonstration or students' political organization.

But, of course, even that will not keep their circulation going indefinitely. They may have to turn their hunting also after that rara avis, the collegian who is neither Communist nor Fascist, and their hunt so directed may possibly meet with a greater aboundance of foxes, although it is difficult to foresee just how they will malign that particular hapless species. --Daily Princetonian.