Dennett Tells Plan of Phillips Brooks House Association to Expand Work

Expects to Have 150 Social Service Workers in Boston Settlement Houses This Year

By Raymond Dennett, President of the Phillips Brooks House Association.

Operating under a somewhat makeshift executive arrangement, Phillips Brooks House plans nonetheless to expand its undergraduate activities this year in at least three directions: First we hope to increase the number of social service volunteers from about a hundred to one hundred and fifty; second we hope to increase the functions and range of the Speakers Committee, and third; we plan to encourage close contacts between foreign students and undergraduates. To carry out these programs the enlistment of considerable Freshman assistance is necessary.

Social Service Emphasized

During the course of the past three years, while the problems of the commuting student rested squarely upon Brooks House, the Social Service Committee suffered a gradual diminution of the number of students participating. Now that the University, prevailed upon by the joint action of the commuters, Phillips Brooks House and the CRIMSON has established a commuters' center at Dudley Hall, we plan to reemphasize social service work in the Greater Boston settlement houses where we have previously assisted, and to attempt to aid additional houses, such as the Cambridge Y. M. C. A., where we have formerly placed only one or two men, Frank W. Vincent, Jr. '36, will be in charge of the work of this committee.

There is a variety of work offered. These settlement houses need teachers in naturalization courses. They need boys club directors. They need swimming and basketball instructors. They need discussion group leaders for older boys. They need entertainers, handicraft teachers, and game supervisors. The work to be done is important and necessary. For the student who is willing to sacrifice two hours a week to work of this nature, the reward is to be found in a clearer understanding of economic problems gained from personal contact with a few of those who are on the edge of economic ruin; in a realization of some of the dangers and limitations of urban life for the under-priviledged; in a lasting impression of some problems of citizenship.

The Speakers Committee has served church groups, young peoples groups, Women's Clubs, Rotary Clubs and dozens of similar organizations by providing for them those interested graduates and undergraduates who are competent to discuss some subjects from the point of view of the "younger generation." Usually the requests are for speakers on current problems but frequently we are asked to provide travel talks, or talks on religion. Last year one man was registered to speak on the "Breeding and Care of Snakes." This year we plan to continue our usual program, but to augment it by providing cooperation between the Speakers Committee and the Social Service Committee.

The function of the Foreign Student Committee will largely depend upon the number of foreign students who are registered in Harvard this year, but a steady attempt will be made to facilitate a close understanding between foreign students and undergraduates. The details of the program will be announced later by Rolf Kaltenborn '37.