Several Activities In Numerous Fields Carries University Into Foreign Lands

Biological Station Located in Cuba; Orange Free State Forms Site of University Observatory

Contrary to what the average Freshman must think by this time, Harvard does do a few things besides demanding of every incoming man that he write his name countless times on countless registration blanks in draughty, indifferently lighted Memorial Hall.

In fact, a myriad of activities carries the University and its "Veritas" far afield from its native habitat on the banks of the Charles--to the Blue Hills and Jamaica Plain, to Worcester County, to Cuba and Africa's Orange Free State, and even atop Mt. Washington.

The Biological Station in Cuba, located near Cienfuegos, is devoted to research in tropical plants with 100 acres given over to the production of economic plants and experimental grounds used for developing improved varieties of sugar cane. This station is maintained in connection with the Arnold Arboretum in Boston for Harvard graduate students and often in the field of biology.

The Orange Free State has been the location of the southern hemisphere station of the University Observatory since 1927, previous to which time the observatory "down underneath" was situated in Peru. Photographs of the southern sky are regularly sent here to supplement those taken of the northern heavens at the Cambridge and Oak Ridge stations.

The Meteorological Station, perched on the summit of Great Blue Hill in greater Boston, has continued uninterrupted weather observations for fifty years. Equipment includes pilot balloon apparatus, radiation receivers, and an instrument for recording night cloudiness besides the more familiar, thermometers, hygrometers, and barometers. Sub-stations are maintained on Mt. Washington. Mt. Wachusett, Mt. Monadnock, and in Cambridge.

In addition to the venerable monarchs of the Yard, Harvard owns millions of trees on a 2.200 acre tract in Worcester County some 75 miles west of Boston. Scattered fragments of primeval timber and a great variety of all stages of regrowth are included in the Harvard Forest. A thousand acres have been set aside as a bird refuge to be administered by the University and the State. Instruction at the Forest is given graduate men working in forestry.

In Boylston Hall is located the local office of the Harvard-Yenching institute which, in conjunction with Harvard and the Yenching University of Peiping, promotes the study of Oriental culture, carrying on research and granting fellowships to Chinese or Occidental students for work in the Orient, Europe or at Harvard.