FOGG EXHIBITION HELD IN HONOR OF DR. D. ROSS

Art Museum to Hold Special Exhibition of Gifts Given by Former Professor of Art at Harvard

In honor of Dr. Denman Waldo Ross '75, former professor of Art at Harvard, who died recently, the Fogg Art Museum will hold a special exhibition of the gifts he has made. It will open during the first week of October, probably Thursday, October 3, or Friday, October 4. This collection will consist largely of Oriental Art, gathered from many countries in order to show the breadth and scope of Dr. Ross's collecting. There will be featured, among other things, a bronze figure of the Dancing Siva, early Chinese bronzes, Chinese paintings, a rare Japanese screen showing paintings of early poets, Oriental textiles and pottery, and Persian illuminations and miniatures.

Dr. Ross died in London on September 12. Special memorial services for him will be held today, in the Mt. Auburn Chapel. His gifts, running into the hundreds, rank him as one of the museum's major benefactors, and he gave both time and money when the collections were yet in an infant state. Among his pupils were dodge MacNight, Joseph Linden Smith, and Robert Gawley, whose pictures Professor Ross also gave to the museum.