PATHS OF PROGRESS

Great progress has been made during the summer in the asphalting of various paths throughout the university grounds. Students are extremely thankful that they no longer will be forced to roll up their trousers and go wading to reach many classes on rainy days; but the situation will not have been satisfactorily settled until paving eliminates mud-holes on all important walks.

Besides the mire and dust of gravel paths there is a greater total expense to the university. Asphalt requires very little upkeep and makes snow removal infinitely cheaper and more rapid. The use of dangerous and unsightly narrow wooden walks in winter is unnecessary; the expensive storage and repair of these may be abandoned.

Even persons full of romantic feeling for soft country-like walks will not mourn the passing of dirty shoes, wet feet, stubbed toes, and twisted ankles. Nor will they fail to appreciate during the winter the comfort of not having to step off the boards into the snow at each passing of a professor's wife.

Paved walks have been common elsewhere for several decades. At least by the time of its three-hundredth anniversary Harvard should make use of this modern convenience and rid itself of all the remaining seventeenth century mud-puddles.