Harlow Sees Progress of Gridsters; Lauds Burton, Moseley in Yale Game

Moving pictures of every game on the schedule showed that the team made "a steady improvement" throughout the year, according to Head Coach Dick Harlow, just back from a six-week duck-shooting vacation in Maryland. The work of Bill Burton and Freddy Moseley in the Yale game was termed as "especially satisfactory."

Burton was praised for turning in "the best game any tackle played for us all year," while the shifty running back won equal commendation. "If Moseley had ever had the blocking that Shepherd had at Western Maryland, he would have been an equally consistent ground-gainer."

"Real" Spring Practice

"To check and recheck every boy on the squad concerning the question of his lessons" was the avowed purpose of the mentor's returning at this time, although setting the time for the spring practice was understood to be equally responsible.

Harlow declared that "the most encouraging thing in his work so far" was that the prospective gridsters are demanding a "real" spring practice. The latter part of March has been tentatively set as the opening of the workout which will be "no longer than last year."

An Amateur Ornithologist

Demolishing cigar after cigar, the famed coach admitted that his interest in birds rivalled that in the gridiron. "Birds show me that there is something beside football in the world," he stated.

Starting as a boy of 10, Harlow has covered most of the United States in his observation and photography of the feathered creatures. He has also spent seven summers studying birds in Canada.

Publicity a Bad Influence

It was not long before he was back to the subject of football again with a stern criticism of the press. "Publicity hs ruined many a promising gridster by expecting too much from him", the mentor said. "All too many boys have tow strikes on them before they start."