PRIZE AWARDS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH GRADUATE SCHOOLS

President Hopes Eventually to Have one Hundred Prize Scholars in Each Class of the College

President Conant reiterated his prize scholarship plan in a speech before the annual Harvard Club of Philadelphia dinner last night.

Two rather new angles of the scholarship plan were brought out, namely that the awards will be continued year by year to take promising men through the College and, further, the Graduate Schools; and second, that it was the hope of President Conant to have 100 prize scholars in each class of the College.

Conant said, in part:

"These National Scholarships will enable Harvard to do its share in finding and educating those potential leaders of the country who by accidents of birth might otherwise be deprived.

"In selecting those who receive these awards, we want to get young men who will be good scholars, but who also have outstanding qualities of character and personality, men who have vitality, creativeness, imagination, leadership, integrity, and independence.

Long-tenure Feature

"The long-tenure feature of the National Scholarships establishes a principle which has hitherto not been applied in the administration of American college scholarships. As a general rule, American scholarships have been awarded for no more than one year at a time, and frequently for even less than one year.

"The unfortunate consequence of this procedure has been to encourage the very men whose development and education demands the soundest possible preparation for ultimate service to society to shy away from difficult studies which they ought to pursue, in order to take courses in which they feel confident of obtaining high marks."