CLEOPATRA RETURNS

From England comes the interesting and highly important report that Sir Samuel Hoare is soon due to return to the Baldwin cabinet. His new position, it is authoritatively stated, will be as first Lord of the Admiralty where he will replace the resigning Sir Bolton Eyres-Monsell. The crux of the situation is that Sir Samuel's immense energy and grasp of the international situation has been found indispensable, and that the government will risk overthrow or embarassment in return for his invaluable services.

When Sir Samuel was forced out of office some few weeks ago, many felt that he had been both the victim of typical Laval manoevres, and the scape-goat of the highly embarrassed British government. His resignation saved the day, although it has been intimated that Hoare and Eden were not on particularly good terms; Eden being fanatically devoted to the League and seeing in Hoare's attempt to sell Ethiopia out virtual imperilling of the League's future. However, Hoare and Eden will not have an opportunity to cross each other's bows, for Eden will remain in charge of the Foreign Office while "Cleopatra" as Hoare is known to the House of Commons, will be placed in charge of the vital and difficult task of re-organizing and linking the armed forces of the Empire. It is virtually accepted in England that a colossal re-armament plan will soon be put under way and that the next budget will devote more to the Army, Navy and Air Services than has ever been voted before in history.

While Americans may sit at ease and bless the fact that are separated from the theatre of European conflicts by three thousand miles of clear, blue sea, the fact remains that this country will soon embark on a program of re-arming that would surprise the most ardent militarist in the War College. The clouds across the Pacific loom too large to be ignored any longer. Investigations by the War Department have revealed only too starkly our utter unpreparedness and the inefficiency of much of our material. Both our war lords and the yellow press have hammered away at the Congress until now America will assume the mailed glove, and in future her national defense will consist of more than diplomatic notes or strongly penned warnings. Though at first glance great armamaments and stringent neutrality laws may seem strange bed-fellows, they will form the greatest possible guard against a repetition of the years 1917-18.