Naval Reserve Flying Training Course Offers Good Instruction, High Salary

This is the second in a series of articles, which will be run from time to time in the next few months, describing opportunities for vocational training and work open to the graduating class.

Four years training in aviation, with pay ranging from $75 to $125 a month and a lump bonus of $1,500 at the end of the period, are offered by the United States Naval Reserve Aviation Base in Squantum.

The course starts with a thirty day elimination flight training at Squantum, candidates being enlisted as second class seamen.

Flight Training

This will be followed by a year's course in primary and advanced flight training at the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Florida, where candidates will be enrolled as aviation cadets.

Successful completion of this course brings an appointment as naval aviator; the remainder of the four year period must be spent in active service in the aircraft squadron of the United States feel.

Reserve Commission

At the end of this period, naval aviators will be eligible for commission in the naval reserve.

Candidates will be selected by the Bureau of Navigation, Navy Department, Washington, D. C. From District 1, including Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, and Rhode island residents, original application should be made to the Communadant at Squantum.

Requirements are as follows: male citizen, between 20 and 28 years of age, unmarried (and so remain during service), mentally, morally, physically, and psychologically quallfied, a graduate of a recognized university or college or having satisfactorlly completed one half or more of such a course including a mathematical education.

Pay and Insurance

The pay is $75 a month during training and $125 a month during active service, with extra for flying risk. A daily allowance of $1 for living expenses is added; also every cadet is insured in the amount of $10,00 the government. At the end of the four year period a lump sum of $1200 will be paid. Uniform allowances are also supplied.

Preliminary training will be given, in six monthly classes beginning on May 15, 1936.