The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

LANE AND BANNISTER WIN AMES COMPETITION

VICTORS REPRESENTATIVES OF SCOTT CLUB

Representing the Scott club, Edward W. Lane 3L and Wayne A. Bannister 3L pleaded their way to success in the annual Ames Competition--the "grand opera of the Law School", Friday night. They defeated Elwood S. Levy 3L and Edward B. Hanify 3L of the Williston Club.

As is the custom, the argument was based upon a practical subject. Very much simplified, the problem revolved on the question as to wether a certain specified trust fund interfered with a certain specified real property law, manufactured for the purpose.

The debate was complicated by having a will in which the youngest child of a certain man was mentioned as a beneficiary of the trust fund, and by having another child then born to this man after the death of the testator. Question: which child is the beneficiary of the will?

The Williston Club acted as the attorneys for the beneficiaries, and the Scott Club as the lawyers for the heirs at law. With 76 pages in their brief and 203 case histories to support them, the Williston Club had plenty of data to fall back on--in fact, almost too much.

Since theirs was supposedly, the easier side, the judges tended to be stricter with them. And when Levy couldn't answer some of the judge's questions, their case was completely lost.

Next to being mentioned in the Law Review (an honor based wholly on final grades), winning the Ames Competition is the greatest distinction attainable at the Law School.