PURITAN PUCKSTERS MOST PROMISING IN INTERHOUSE HOCKEY

Dudley Showing Unexpected Strength Is Ranked Second as Winthrop's Most Formidable Opponent

Winthrop, Dudley, Kirkland, and Dunster won on the Garden ice Friday as the inter-House hockey tournament got under way. Winthrop looked by far the best sextet, with a club of fast, heavy ex-football players to slam the puck into the net. In their first game they pushed five tallies through the Leverett goalie while holding their opponents scoreless.

Kirkland's pucksters had to resort to rough hockey to edge out Eliot, 2-1. To a game marked by many tussles, Frank J. Johnson, II '37 added color by wearing a baseball glove.

The Dudley ice men displayed unexpected strength by beating Adams, 2-0. Playing a flashy game for the commuters, Arthur S. Simon '37 scored both tallies. A fairly strong team, Dudley is fast shaping into Winthrop's most formidable opponent.

Dunster and Lowell Close

Dunster and Lowell fought the closest match, running into a three-minute overtime. The Pioneers finally slammed in a goal to eke out a 2-1 win. Neither team played exceptional hockey.

Clark Hunter, Freshman hockey coach, refereed all four games. The periods were ten minutes each--half the usual length. Despite the roughness of the play only one man was hurt--Benjamin C. Riggs of Kirkland.

In the semi-finals this afternoon Dudley will play Kirkland and Winthrop will face off against Dunster. The play-off between the winners will be held Friday afternoon.