Crimson Editorial Competition to Open Wednesday at Plympton Street Building

With University Hall issuing reports from every conceivable officer with magician-like rapidity, and with the Presidential campaign beating the gun and running wild, editorial candidates for the CRIMSON, will have no trouble in selecting topics for their daily offerings.

While members of the Editorial Board usually are able to sit down at the typewriter and invent a national or college issue about which to write, the usual candidate has his worst troubles in selecting a topic for discussion. The next two months, however, promise to overwhelm even the columnists with topics ready for comment.

This Competition Easiest

In many respects, the competition which begins on Wednesday, is always the easiest for candidates; mid-years are out of the way and by the time hour exams come around the work has developed into a natural ability that takes little time and trouble; it is the easiest time of the year to stay indoors and there is no required work due from Sophomores at the end of the eight weeks period.

Students who are interested in the administrative and educational problems of the University can find no better way to learn about them than by becoming a candidate for the Editorial Board and those interested in national policies will have every opportunity to discuss their views.

Broader Fields Open

If successful, broader fields are open to the members of the Board. Play, concert, and movie reviews are done primarily by Editorial men; they assist in preparing the Confidential Guide for Freshmen; those with special inclinations find expression in writing the Vagabond and the Crime Column while all are asked to review books in their special fields.

The actual work of the competition involves writing one editorial each day on any subject which appeals to the author and will interest a fairly large group of students. Each effort is commented on and suggestions are made in order to improve the style and organization of the paper. It is, in short, a condensed course in exposition and self-expression except that corrections are made directly to the author and the papers are written about subjects which are interesting to the person writing them.

A first meeting of candidates will be held Wednesday in the CRIMSON building at 14 Plympton Street at 7.30 o'clock. The competition is open to Sophomores only although Freshmen are invited to compete in the News and Photographic competitions and members of both classes are eligible for the Business Board.