CRIMSON SKIERS WILL ENTER WILLIAMS MEET THIS SUNDAY, MONDAY

THUNDERBOLT TRAIL IS STEEP AND DIFFICULT

Crimson skiers will invade Williamstown this weekend in the first real tryout of the season against such teams as Dartmouth and New Hampshire in the annual Williams Carnival, which ranks second in importance to the Dartmouth Carnival.

The men making the trip with Captain Adams Carter are Peter Brooks, Dave Emerson, Harry Locke, Charlie Rogers, and Bob Shaw. All except Rogers and Locke will enter in the four events of downhill, cross country, slalom, and jumping. Rogers will complete in the downhill and slalom, while Locke will enter the jumping and cross country.

Downhill Race Over Thunderboit

Sunday morning the skiers will gather on Mt. Greylock for a run over the Thunderbolt trail in the downhill event. This run ranks with the Taft and Wildcat trails in difficulty.

The turns are mean and the grade is steep and fast. A peculiarity of this trail is that the hardest part is at the bottom, when the racers are all tired out.

The Crimson skiers are in fair shape, most of them having skied during the vacation and competed in the University Championship race a few weeks ago. Carter and Rogers went to the Conway Carnival last Sunday and are probably in better shape than the others.

Jumping in the Afternoon

In the afternoon the jumping will be held on Sheep Hill in the town. This jump, as big as any college jump, is rated as a 40-meter one. Brooks and Emerson are the two outstanding jumpers, who teamed with Loomis at Lake Placid during the vacation to get fifth place for the team out of a field of 13.

Their laurels, however, are being threatened by Captain Carter, who took third place in the jumping at Conway last Sunday, despite the fact that he had never jumped before in competition, and had not made more than eight jumps in his career.

Slalom and cross country races will be held on Monday. The four who went to Placid, Brooks, Emerson, Locke, and Loomis, have probably had more chance to warm up competitively this season, but both Carter and Shaw aired their turns in the University race, placing in the first five so that prospects for a good showing are hopeful.

Others Going to Laconia

Besides Dartmouth and Yale, Amherst, University of New Hampshire, Middlebury, and other colleges will enter. It is entirely a college meet.

While these six are competing at Williamstown, other skiers will be at Laconia, having themselves timed over the trail there in an effort to raise their ratings.

With everybody loosening up the joints after exams at one place or another, the ten who go to Dartmouth for the annual winter festivities on February 8 and 9 will be in top shape.