Travel in Europe, Contact With Life in Foreign Lands Offered to Men in College

Germany, for instance, the groups often sleep in Jugendherbergen, or youth hostels.

For those travelling in Germany and Austria, one of the most attractive features of the summer is a five-day faltboat trip down the Danube to Vienns, followed by three weeks of mountain climbing in the Austrian Alps. In past years these groups have always spent several days in the picturesque mountain village of Bad-Aussee, where swimming and folk-dancing are among the chief attractions.

Groups living in France include in their program for the latter half of the summer a trip to Geneva, a week's bicycling tour of the chatean country, and two weeks of camping in the Hautes Alpes. Plans for next summer's Spanish group include three weeks of climbing in the Pyrenees.

Educational Value of Experiment

Repeated evidence of the educational value of such experiences is furnished by the fact that participants in this enterprise have returned to this country with broader interests and a deeper appreciation of international differences.

In addition they have usually shown marked improvement in their scholastic attainments in college. This aspect is most noticeable in language courses, for it is obvious that eight weeks of constant association with German or French speaking young people inevitably provides a more thoroughgoing linguistic training than it is possible to impart in the classroom.

International Friendship Created

It is a tribute to Mr. Watt's far-sighted idealism that the Experiment in International Living has never lost sight of its fundamental purpose and aim-to create lasting friendships among the youth of different nations. Since it is conducted on a non-profit basis, it has provided immeasurable benefits for scores of American students interested in European travel. I write as one who, having twice partaken in Mr. Watt's Experiment, feel that it is decidedly one of the most worth while ways in which a college student can spend his summer vacation.