Soccer Managers Enjoy Active Field Course In Child Psychology--Only One of Type in College

Handle Stealing Problems Offered by Unclaimed Urchins from Allston Territory

Believed to be the only thing of its kind found anywhere in the regular College curriculum, a field course in child psychology forms one of the requirements for the soccer managerial competition now in process of organization.

That part of the city of Boston which lies near the Harvard Stadium maintains a considerable population of children between the ages of 3 and 12. Most of these can be found during weekday afternoons on the Business School, or Soocar, Field.

Long years of experience have taught this denisenry that sudden death results from capture within the confines of Soldiers Field. But no fence however constructed could keep them off the enclosed area across North Harvard Street, while a large corps of managers, maintenance men, etc, would be necessary to chase them away as often as they appeared.

The purposes of these children are three; to dispute physically and verbally ownership of the field; to enjoy the H. A. A. equipment; to relieve the managers of any subsidiary supplies.

During past years the last named purpose has flared with almost sacred zeal. It is a matter of common knowledge that last year one young American successfully wound up the season in possession of a soccer ball, a pair of spectacles, several rolls of adhesive tape, and a varigated assortment of sweaters, etc.

Their techniques are interesting and ingenious. Most perfectly developed is the art of ball stealing. While some minor disturbance such as boundary flag removal serves as distraction in a corner of the field, an unnoticed performer, armed with a pin, approaches a ball which a player has momentarily left unguarded, pierces a seam, shoves the deflating pellet under his shirt, and at a warning signal everyone stampedes for the fence.

Corrective treatment is of two sorts, persuasion with force, persuasion without force.

The former method, most generally used during preceding seasons, consists of laying on wherever possible, pursuit, spithetical dissuasion, etc. It must be confessed, however, that this system has been somewhat of a failure.

A definitely unfriendly undertone came to exist between the managers and the rival army, efforts to steal were redoubled, heckling became organized, there were occasional stone throwing episodes, and older and bigger brothers and friends joined the enemy ranks.

The managerial staff was frankly unable to handle the situation.

This year the second method is being employed. Every effort is being made to keep the urchins from nefarious practices by showing them that they will be in no physical danger provided that they keep away from the equipment during practice. After practice the managers hope to handle them.

Now they are invited to help instead of hinder the corps. They fraternize with the players, sit on the bench and handle the water bottles and drinking cups, engage in friendly conversation with the Harvard performers.

Thus far the system has worked perfectly. In the first week of practice all the soccer supplies are still in possession of the H. A. A. while at the same time no minor incidents have been recorded.

The managerial staff of two, and sometimes three, hopes to be reinforced by one or two Sophomores and Freshmen before very much longer