TRUE HARVARD SPIRIT IN TYRICAS SETTING

QUADRICENTENNLAL NEXT WORRY ON PROGRAM

These notes on Jerome D. Greene's work as director of the Tercentenary, are continued from page four of yesterday's Issue of the Crimson.

The spiritual ideals and setting of Harvard University were aptly set-off during the Tercentenary Celebration according to comments received by Mr. Greene; graduates and others felt that the Tercentenary Theatre in the Yard was well designd, expertly placed, and that the speeches given showed the true spirit of Harvard.

Before the Celebration many were heard to exclaim, "Why don't they hold the exercises in the stadium, where many more people would be able to attend; this new theatre is an unnecessary expense." The event has shown that this opinion was wrong.

Conant's Part

Turning again to individuals, Mr. Greene spoke with especial emphasis of the co-operation of Mr. Conant during the Celebration. Labelling his oration of Friday as the climax of the whole 300th., he went on to say that the President's work on the occasion was endless, patiently performed, Incidentally, during the nearly three weeks period of the Conference and the Celebration, Mr. Conant averaged almost two speeches a day, was guest of honor at 15 banquets in 13 days.

Boston and Cambridge Hosts.

The response from the residents of Boston and Cambridge who were asked to serve as hosts to University guests during the Celebration, was particularly generous according to Mr. Greene. Letters of inquiry were mailed in January, and the response was so large that although nearly twice the number of expected Delegates came, all were placed during their stay here.

Other Helpers

Mr. Greene also spoke with gratitude of the work done by the staff. Aldrich Durant, Business Manager of the University, co-operated splendidly and the Maintenance Department, working under him, handled all the physical arrangements for the affair, even supplying the labor for building the Tercentenary Theatre. Charles F. McNeil '27, in charge of lodgings and catering, was also mentioned as having done a highly efficent job.

David M. Little, former Dean and assistant Director of the Tercentenary, did a great deal of work in running the details of the main Celebration; he also supervised the running of the Undergraduate Exercises. William G. Land, assistant to Mr. Greene, did superb work in editing the Harvard Handbook; he also had a large share in organizing and running the Tercentenary Conference.

Finis

But the Tercentenary is over, although memories of it will last long. Mr. Greene can now go back to his top floor office in University Hall as Secretary to the Corporation, handle its official correspondence. No need to worry yet awhile about the next tongue-twister, the quadricentennial.