UNION COMMITTEE TO NAME OFFICERS IN REFORM RULING

'39 Freshman Survey Advised Reform Last Spring; Had Been Postponed by Inertia

Reporting the probable selection of the Freshman Union Committee on Monday, Kendric N. Marshall '21, "guardian of the class", also announced yesterday that this year's group will be the first to be self-governing in the sense that it will elect its own chairman and secretary.

In previous years lack of officers and resultant organization has often caused the members to rely excessively on non-Committee men in formulating policies.

Mr. Marshall's move follows a recommendation made last Spring by the 1939 Confidential Guide Committee. The reform had been considered in other years, he said, but largely through inertia, and the tradition of having no Union Committee Chairman, there continued to be none.

Further facts on the semi-official progress of 1940 show that a record number, 480, filled in the "hobby"--cards which were distributed at one of the "Freshman Week" meetings. With a Class fund of $150 to back them, and administered by the Union Committee, an ample program of activities is foreseen for men with socially-united extra-curricular leanings.