NO DECISION RENDERED IN DEBATE AT HANOVER

GARNER HONORS IN NEW FIELD OF ENDEAVOR

Taking the affirmative side of the question: "Resolved, That Franklin D. Roosevelt should be re-elected President of the United States," two Crimson debaters met Dartmouth representatives in a non-decision debate at Hanover yesterday evening. This was the Debating Council's first argument this fall.

Richard W. Sullivan '38 and Donald McDonald '39, representing the Crimson were opposed by J. W. Hathaway and C. G. Beckel of Hanover. Sullivan supported Roosevelt as a representative of the needed Liberalism in Government, while McDonald upheld the financial policy of the present administration, contending that worthwhile ends had been achieved by increasing the deficit.

Rather than rallying to the support of another party, Hathway and Beckel confined themselves to the criticism of the New Deal. They attacked the administration of the Civil Service, unemployment, and general lack of co-ordination in all New Deal policies.

Lawrence Ebb '39 made the trip as alternate speaker for the Crimson and served as timekeeper during the debate.

Not to be dismayed by the lack of a decision at the debate, the Crimson men garnered doubtful honors in still another field of endeavor. Jubilantly they claim the distinction of having set a record between Cambridge and Hanover: two hours and forty-four minutes, including time spent on court proceedings at Concord and Nashua.