FORCES IN EUROPEAN GOVERNMENT SCORED

McDonald Asserts Imperialistic and Nationalistic Factors Still Continue Predominant

Asserting that the old forces of nationalism and imperialism, rendered doubly intensive by the totalitarian state, were still the basic fact in Europe, James G. McDonald, former chairman of the Foreign Policy Association and present editorial writer for the "New York Times," traced the development of the "Realignment in Europe" in Emerson D last night.

The genesis of his talk was that the years since the Treaty of Versailles have witnessed a steady disintegration of the post-war settlement into a state of affairs almost exactly analagous to that existing just before the World War. He pointed out how the recent rapprochement of Germany and Italy had consolidated the old central bloc in Europe, and how France, Great Britain and Russia stand in almost exactly the same relation as they did in 1914.

Most interesting was Mr. McDonald's pessimism concerning the possibility of real cooperation between the Great Powers of Europe, caused by the disheartening difficulties he encountered in his position as High Commissioner of the League for refugees from Nazi Germany.