POLL 'EM OVER

Dean Roscoe Pound's announcement that a clear majority of the Harvard Law School faculty favored the election of Governor Landon leaves the final political status of the school very much in doubt Backed by twelve other influential professors, dean Pound also favored the election of the complete republican national and state ticket. Despite the recent poll conducted by the Phillips Brooks House Committee in which President Roosevelt obtained a majority of 200 votes, this statement issued by such persons as Pound, Beale and Williamson, may swing many votes to the G. O. P. camp, to say nothing of the men who have not yet expressed any preference.

Since there are approximately 1470 men enrolled in the Law School, the Phillips Brook's poll, representing a mere 670 men is too small to be really accurate. Must one conclude that the silent three-fifths will also vote for the democratic candidate particularly after most of the important men on the faculty have declared their intention to support Governor Landon?

The Harvard Roosevelt Club wishes to add this Phillips Brooks poll to the votes of the rest of the college, thus enabling them to say that the University is Democratic by a scant margin of 35 votes. No accurate results can be obtained by adding the votes of two-fifths of the Law School to the much more complete poll of the undergraduates conducted by the Crimson two weeks ago, which covered three-fourths of the college. Perhaps the Club would do well to get down to business in a really serious fashion and investigate the School of City Planning which has only eleven members. If they canvass that institution as they did the Law School, only four men need vote, and if they should be Democrats, victory is assured. Again the School of Landsape Architecture with its 19 members would boost the Democratic supporters to their hasty conclusions just as well.

The Harvard Roosevelt Club would probably have some difficulty in proving their point, however, if they were to poll the Business School which is admitted to be the bulwark of Harvard's Republicanism, Over half of the total enrollment voted, and expressed a 5 to 2 preference for the Republican candidate. Faced with such odds the college's amateur politicians might be very much chagrined to find that the University as a whole preferred the Sunflower to the Mule.

Aside from the fact that 435 law school men have signified their intention to vote for President Roosevelt, very little has been proved either one way or the other. Except for the undergraduates of the college and Business School, no other Harvard Department has succeeded in turning out more than one half of their members to vote, and for that reason it is futile to draw any conclusions as to the political status of the University as a whole.