PEACE IN THE HOUSES

"And so out of chaos, came order". It may sound like Professor Merriman in one of his more expansive moments, but today its application is to the Houses' rather than Europe's history. For years the Houses have been taxing each other's resources by policies of ruthless competition, culminating last year in a grand debacle, with Houses sponsoring dances with "big name" orchestras cheek by jowl with one another undercutting freely, and using high-pressure advertising tactics.

This year, however, promises better things. Last Friday an informal gathering of House committee members came to tentative conclusions which at least insure against having more than two houses in festive mood at any one time. A general attitude of reasonable cooperation seems to have been substituted for gimlet-eyed jealousy.

One definite result will be the emergence at the end of the year, of more House committees with black instead of red ink daubed over their fingers. Another will be a less fiercely competitive and more socially desirable atmosphere for all those on pleasure bent.

The House committees, with an eye to following up their good work, might consider the possibilities of further planning. A schedule could be so arranged that in successive years a House would have in the course of the cycle, a different, and therefore more or less desirable, time for giving a dance. Finally, community spirit would be fostered if there was a flat charge to all comers; in other words, no price discrimination between members of the House responsible for the festivities and members of other Houses.