DEBATE COACHES KEEP 27 ORATORS IN TRIALS

Twenty Speakers Defend Roosevelt, Seven Landon in Fall Competition of Debating Council

Twenty-seven men were retained in the fall trails of the Harvard University Debating Council, held last night at Phillips Brooks House.

Candidates delivered a three-minute speech on either side of the proposition, "Resolved, That Franklin D. Roosevelt should be re-elected President of the United States." Twenty men spoke for Roosevelt, and seven against him.

Edward M. Rowe '27, Director of Debating, and Irving M. Murray '36, Assistant to the Director, judged the trials. Rowe termed the speaking as "exceptionally good for the fall trails."

A schedule of seven debates for fall has been drawn up, but has not been submitted to the Dean's Office. Two debates coach with Yale and Brown and a debate with Dartmouth on October 29, have been tentatively planned. Two other debates, which are expected to creaic a great deal of interest among undergraduates, will be announced shortly.

Mr. Rowe has the make-up of the teams under consideration, and will announce the Dartmouth team tomorrow. All of the men retained in the trials will have a chance to take part in a debate other as a speaker or an alternate.