VARSITY STAGES FIRST SCRIMMAGE WITH 1940

Ford Appears Likely Prospect to Open Brown Game at Right Half Position Over McTernan

Only one change from the eleven which started the Amherst game appeared likely as a result of yesterday's practice in which the Varsity scrimamged the Freshmen eleven for the first time.

On the basis of his hard driving offensive game it now appears likely that George Ford, a fixture in last year's back-field, will get the call against the Brown squad Saturday over Mal McTernan.

Both in the scrimmage with the C eleven, which was using the Brown plays, and in the tussle with the Yardlings, Ford flashed his old ball-toting ability. The Varsity as a whole however, demonstrated that it still needs considerable work on fundamentals, and the coaching staff is administering this in large doses. Caused partly by the absence due to examinations, of Gaffney and Adlis, the line play was not up to standard, and this defect stood out particularly in the Freshman scrimmage. Healey, big Yardling tackle, was causing considerable havoc in the Varsity offense.