OUTDISTANCED

It seems highly unfortunate that the reform so recently carried into effect in Government I should have been delayed until the damage of seriously reduced enrollment has been done. Past years of long and highly detailed assignments and generally rough sledding through the myriad details of American government have left their stamp, a Freshman have an instinctive fear of enrolling in this basically worthwhile course. Their attitude is equally founded on both common hearsay and what has been, in the past, the truth.

Although the bird has flown, it is not beyond belief that eventually Government I will resume its former position as 2nd most popular course in the Freshman curriculum. Shorter assignments, more varied and interesting lectures and broader scopes for outside reading cannot help but induce a large number of first year men to ignore past prejudice and to judge the course on its merits. If these reforms are religiously preserved and if the general tenor of Government 1 is lightened, it will deserve to regain its former place in the sun and receive the mark of approval of the Freshman class.