WHITE ELECTED TO REPLACE DUBIEL ON STUDENT COUNCIL

Page Announces Collection of Cash On Pledges Is $130 Short of Amount Set Last Year

Leavitt S. White '37 was chosen by the Student Council at its first meeting of the year last night in University Hall to replace Emile Dubiel '37, unable to assume his duties on the Council because of probation.

It was felt by the Council that since Dubiel had been an elected member rather than an appointed member of the Council, his successor should represent, as nearly as possible, the choice of the College as expressed in the last vote. White just missed election by a margin of 10 votes last year. He was the seventh man on the ballot in the number of votes received, the first six receiving places on the Council. After this most pressing of all the business before the meeting had been decided it was announced by Walter H. Page, III '37, treasurer that the collection of cash and student pledges was still short of the budget figure set last year by a margin of $130.

Two scholarships totalling $175 have already been awarded to upperclassmen who would have been unable to return to College without immediate financial assistance. Several such scholarships have been given in the fall by recent Councils to men who are unexpectedly unable to find money for the first term bill, but who will be able to go through the rest of the year without further aid.

How much scholarships will take from the Council budget was not decided at the meeting last night.

The Council also heard a report by Francis Keppel '38, placed in charge of Freshman affairs last year, on the progress of the Freshman Red Book. Keppel said that the Freshman who would head this year's publication had not yet been chosen but that he would announce the choice soon.

Concluding the meeting was a vote of thanks to Elliott C. Cutler '09, ex-president of the Associated Harvard Clubs, and to the Harvard Club of Boston for the two gifts of $1000 and $500 respectively received from each of these organizations by the Undergraduate Tercentenary Committee. The Student Council had set up the Undergraduate Committee.