$46,000 Worth of Tobacco Annually Goes Up In Smoke; Figures Show Three-Quarters Indulge

Westcott Reveals Figures of Eliot Grill and House Dining Halls For 1935-1936 Season

During the college year 1935-36, tobacco to the tune of $46,000 was smoked away by undergraduates, a sum capable of paying the tuition and board of some forty odd students. This salient fact is based chiefly on the assumption that about 70% of the student body are partisans of Demon Nicotine. The figures released by Roy L. Westcott, Manager of University Dining Halls, show that in the Eliot House Grill and the House Dining Halls together, $11,185 in cigarette sales was taken in last year.

Strangely enough, the profits of the House Dining Halls and the Union which were recorded for last year, amounted to $46,152.86, a figure practically identical with that of total tobacco costs among the undergraduates. This sum is accounted for in the annual budget under the head of Student Employment, and is regularly anticipated.

The average smoker consumes about one package of cigarettes every two days, making the grand total of approximately 150 packages in the college year. In aggragate, then, about 358,440 packages of twenty cigarettes, or 7,168,000 single coffin-nails, are smoked every year by undergraduates.