THE PRESS

AN AMERICAN AT OXFORD

A large New England university's daily paper charged this week that "drinking has become such an integral part of college life that its abuses are tolerated." And at the same time it struck at the administration of that college by stating that "official facilities are inadequate for dealing ably" with the problem of objectional instances of student drinking.

The editorial goes on to suggest that the "college should launch its attack at its failure to accept responsibility. Where any undergraduate makes a spectacle of himself at a public college function, creates unnecessary disturbances, or endangers lives, he should be subject to immediate disciplinary action."

Recent tragedies brought about by drinking at that university are undoubtedly responsible for the attitude of the paper. One student fell out of a window during a drinking bout and was killed, and another was convicted (and subsequently expelled) for seriously beating a dormitory janitor while under the influence of liquor.

Unfortunately, drinking to excess on the part of many students exists throughout the entire college picture. While a majority of the students in college may "only touch a drop now and then," those who drink "in earnest" are numerous enough to seriously hamper and endanger the lives of their fellows.

The problem is doubled in intensity at any co-educational university. More lives are ruined and more happiness is lost because men and women in these colleges couldn't "hold their liquor" than anywhere else in life.

How it can be controlled and cut down to at least a sensible basis is a problem for administrative officials and undergraduates alike to worry about. Direct prohibition would prove no more effective than it did as a national law. Those students who would benefit most by the curtailment of drinking would only consider such a move a direct challenge to get "drunker than ever."

Various methods which have been tried were not successful. Tipsy driver, "cock-eyed" co-eds and "dead soldiers" outside dorm windows grow more frequent every day.

Outright prohibition of liquor by college authorities is not the answer to this problem. If students cannot be kept from drinking, they should at least know HOW to drink. Educating the students to proper ways of drinking may become the eventual solution. If all other methods fail, it will not do any harm to try this. Syracuse Daily Orange.