ABREAST OF THE TIDE

News of the beginning of a pension plan for employees of the University bodes well for the tradition of progressive liberalism which was so recently sounded by President Conant. With the impetus of the nation-wide approbation of President Roosevelt's social security leanings, handed down by the country on November third, the theory of old-age pensions has pervaded into every corner and cranny of the United States.

Postal officials are already handling the three million odd blanks for the nation's employers and will soon be busy with the millions to follow for the American workers. Everywhere the tide is sweeping on, whether to end in failure or universal acceptance it is, perhaps, too early to say. Whatever the result, the idea has caught, and failure will not be attributable to lack of popular feeling or acceptance.

Yet the social security program of the government is not applicable in charitable institutions or the halls of learning. Harvard is not required by law to accept its provisions, nor to provide for its employees other than as it sees fit. Old age pensions or job insurance--these are matters for the corporation to adjust when and how they please, regardless of the general law or the popular sentiment.

In view of these circumstances, University Hall must be congratulated on its stand in this matter. Whether the plan is adopted generally throughout the university, whether a compromise is effected or, indeed, even if the idea is postponed for a period of months, the fact remains that the corporation is awake to very present issues. Harvard has not forgotten that charity begins at home, nor has it failed to manage its own house while engrossed in matters of national import.