INDIANS RETURN HERE, SCALP 1940 GRIDSTERS

GREEN RETURN OPENING KICKOFF FOR TOUCHDOWN

Falling to emulate the fight displayed by the Varsity, the Freshman football squad was crushed by the Indians 34-4 Saturday on Soldiers Field.

Bill Hutchinson, star Green back took the opening kick-off and ran it back 35 yards to score, and from that time on, the Crimson struggled on hopelessly against the obviously superior and more powerful Dartmouth eleven.

Although Harvard scored in the first period before Dartmouth tallied again, they never seriously threatened. The Crimson points came on straight football, with Hoye and Bailey carrying the ball.

The team didn't coordinate well, and was weak on fundamentals and drive throughout the game. Captain Healey stood out in the line, and Sargeant did a good job on defense, baking up the forward wall, but observers noted there is still a long way to go before the Yardlings will enter a gams as favorites.

Coach Henry Lamer started the following line-up; Ends, Maguire and Devine, tackles, Healey and Hallett, guards, Fahr and Thompson, center, Bird, quarter, Macdonald, halfs, Curtiss and Sargeant, full, Bailey.