SOCIAL SECURITY SWEEPS ON

The prospect of a national system of health insurance to follow on the heels of the present old-age benefit plan, presages a major feature of the New Deal's social security plan. After the thundering approbation handed down by the country on election day, the signal has been set for full steam ahead and the theories nearest to the hearts of the administration are being rushed to practical completion. Perhaps for the first time in modern history, a nation will see its aged, its infirm and its unemployed transformed from destitute and dangerous drains on the mercies of charity to self-sufficient and responsible citizens. To this end it can only be hoped that the experts on the Social Security board will bend every effort.

Too many times in the past has this idea been envisaged, only to fade into semi-oblivion; dimmed by delay, criticism and the force of more pressing problems. Through the depression years, when millions were relying on alms for life, bread and medical care, the idea of social insurance loomed ever higher as a vital need when the time should present itself for the country's reorganization. Though the proverbial horse had fled, it seemed better to lock the door once again than to forget entirely and to move on in willful blindness. Yet the idea then seemed too large, too radical, and it was argued that every cent available was needed for more urgent matters. Wages and profits together were low and any deductions for social insurance would have gone hard. Under these conditions the bills for employment, old-age and health indemnity lay unnoticed, waiting till times should improve.

Today we are on the upgrade. Balances, profits and wages grow almost hourly, industry is moving and the rise of economic graphs is encouraging. Before the next business cycle rolls around, bringing with it over-expansion, unemployment and frozen business conditions, this nation must institute its remedies. The stage for social security is set, the public mind open and even favorable. No delay or trepidations can be allowed to upset the smooth course of this legislation. It is with a feeling deeper than that of mere interest that the American nation will watch the findings of the Social Security board during the coming weeks.