CONANT STRESSES NEED FOR CARE IN PICKING TEACHERS

Urges Cooperation Between College of Liberal Arts and Graduate School of Education

Speaking before the National Council of English Teachers at the Hotel Statler last night, President Conant praised the new degree of Master of Education in teaching, and pointed out the necessity for cooperation between the College of Liberal Arts and the Graduate School of Education.

President Conant also hit at the "disinterest" of many universities towards new trends in educational methods. He advocated a recognition of the principle that providing well-trained teachers is a primary duty of a modern university.

Pointing out the necessity for teachers competent to provide leaders of a democracy, he declared that "malice and ignorance can be overcome only by well trained teachers."

The speech marked President Conant's first public appearance outside his welcome to the Freshmen since his return from Europe.

After President Conant's talk, President William Mather Lewis, of Lafayette College, attacked the philosophy of constant speed in educational method. Attributing emotional instability of youth to attempts of educators to dispense with purely cultural instruction in secondary schools, he advocated courses in music, art, and physical education.