KITTREDGE WILL GIVE INGERSOLL LECTURE

WILL BE DELIVERED ON APRIL 20 AT DIVINITY SCHOOL

George Lyman Kittredge '82, Gurney Professor of English Literature, emeritus, has been chosen to deliver the annual Ingersoll Lecture on the Immortality of Man. The lecture will be delivered on April 20, visitation day, at the Divinity School.

The lectures were established in 1894 under the bequest of Miss Caroline H. Ingersoll, in memory of her father, George G. Ingersoll, class of 1815. The Ingersoll lecturer last year was William E. Hocking '01, Alford Professor of Natural Religion, Moral Philosophy, and Civil Polity.

The following tribute to Professor Kittredge was written by one of his former students:

"So far as I am able to determine, Mr. Kittredge has been a force to be reckoned with in the Harvard scene both in the administration and with the students for forty-eight years, though, naturally, as his reputation grew with his achievements, he gained correspondingly in power. Many of the anecdotes which cling to his name and are bandied about wherever Harvard men gather are the result of his personal magnetism and the imagination which he puts into his approach, into everything he does."