Undergraduates Celebrate Second Consecutive Virtual Housing Day

Dean of Students Office Discusses Housing Day, Anti-Racism Goals

Renowned Cardiologist and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Bernard Lown Dies at 99

Native American Nonprofit Accuses Harvard of Violating Federal Graves Protection and Repatriation Act

U.S. Reps Assess Biden’s Progress on Immigration at HKS Event

The Music Box

Burgin to Conduct Interesting Works at the Symphony; Ballet Continues

Richard Burgin, assistant conductor of the Boston Symphony, is to lead the orchestra in its regular Friday and Saturday concerts. The program, which is the same as that played last night in Sanders Theatre, consists of Bach's Toccata in C major for Organ orchestrated by Leo Weiner, the Symphony No. 1 in G minor by Basil Kalinnikov, and Hindemith's "Mathis der Mahler." Kalinnikov was a Russian composer of the Moscow School who died in 1900, leaving only a few works behind him. "Mathis der Mahler" ("Matthias the Painter") is a so-called symphony consisting of three movements written by the modern German composer, Paul Hindemith. The work comprises excerpts from Hindemith's opera of the same name which is based on the life of the sixteenth century painter, Matthias Grunewald, whose famous paintings in the Isenheim altarpiece inspired the naming of the three movements.

Ballet Russe Performances

The Monte Carlo Ballet Russe is to conclude its Boston run with performances at the Opera House tonight and tomorrow afternoon and evening. Saturday night's program is especially interesting, including a revival of Nijinsky's "L'Apres Midi d'un Faune" and a new ballet set to the music of Berlioz's "Symphonie Fantastique."

Jean Bedetti, first cellist of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, is to give a recital in Jordan Hall on Tuesday evening. His program includes a Sonata Arpeggione in A minor by Schubert which is being played here for the first time.