INTERNATIONAL VOYAGING

It is to be expected that Professor Baxter will receive far different treatment in England than was accorded the Archbishop of York in this country. When the latter spoke of England's history and aims, his interpretations met with abusive language and "who cares" insolence from the yellow, pink, and generally motley-colored press. Some day, it is devoutly to be hoped, these journals will recognize that fools are mean to be amusing, not destructive and annoying.

Should Professor Baxter receive the same kind of jeers for his discussion of the Civil War, Messer Hearst and his ilk would probably demand at least the recall of our ambassador. Yet the two cases have this much in common--they are both attempts to increase international understanding.

Professor Baxter's voyage to England sets a valuable precedent as a new way of furthering the international exchange of knowledge. His lectures will give an English audience an American conception of America--an interpretation needed fully as much as similar English or other foreign interpretations of their own countries. This thought would undoubtedly have some difficulty penetrating the egotistical and impervious craniums of die-hard Americanists, but it remains substantial.

What are needed are more Professor Baxters, more Bishops are York, more exchange professors. Until such men can create mutual understanding between nations, peace and other great ideals will remain transparent, fantastic webs spun by dreamers.