Ping Pongers Pound Pellets in Team Matches And Regular Weekly Handicap Tournaments

Sherfy Brothers Shine on Strong "Independents," Are Leading Table Team

Interest in the most minor of all minor sports, ping pong, has risen to such an extent that there are now two regular University teams and a large handicap tournament every Wednesday evening. The two teams, the Harvard Independents and the Tennis and Squash Shop Racketmen, are chosen from a bumping ladder.

Sharpshooting Sherfys

At present the leading Crimson pongers are the two Sherfy brothers, 1L, each of whom have a handicap of minus eight. These two, along with Frank W. Edlin '38 and Max G. Manker '38, comprise the Independents. In team matches the quartet plays eight singles and two doubles encounters.

During this week both teams have won smashing victories in the Greater Boston League. The Independents whitewashed the Malcolm Hill Sports team 10-0, and the Tennis and Squash Shopmen lmitated the feat in trouncing the Arlington squad.

Wide Range of Handicaps

In the Wednesday evening tournaments, any member of the University is eligible to compete after submitting to a preliminary examination of his talent. The handicaps range all the way from the minus eight super stars to the plus 13 duffers. About 32 men have taken part in each of the competitions held so far.

One of the duffers usually annexes the table tennis title for the week. This is readily understood when one realizes that, to win a game, a minus eight unfortunate has to win 23 points before his plus 13 opponent garners a paltry two. Two errors, and the minus eighter is ditched.

Fuld Making Heavy Weather

In general college tennis and squash lettermen readily adapt themselves to the celloloid spheroid and paddle. An exception to the rule is found in the case of James J. Fuld '37, captain-elect of this year's tennis team. Jim was handicapped at plus 13 at the outset, but, although he has not yet acquired a weekly title, is said, by competent observers, to be rapidly improving.