CAMPAIGN AGAINST COLLEGE REDS

The existence of liberal elements in American universities has given every non-intellectual member of state legislatures an excuse to investigate radicalism, and make a political football out of colleges. These self-appointed defenders of liberty appear horrified at the thought that anyone but a conservative should exercise the freedom of speech, press, or assembly. No doubt there are "reds" in every college in the country, but they have as much right to express their opinions as anybody else. If the term "political" liberty is to be anything less than a farce, it must mean liberty of action for all groups who conduct themselves in a legal manner.

Cornell is the latest victim of this red-baiting sport, carried on by legislators at the expense of the taxpayers. Much to the surprise of the investigating committee's chairman, New York State Senator McNaboe, Cornell has a chapter of the American Student Union and the Young Communist League. This was considered sufficient evidence for accusing the University of being a hot-bed of reds. Since Harvard has these two organizations, it is presumably the New England headquarters for subversive activities. Even though the Harvard Student Union had only 100 members at the time it was organized, it caused Mr. Hearst, and other professional patriots, a headache.

These Don Quixotes, such as McNaboe and Hearst, who charge at windmills with great energy, do inestimable harm to the cause of conservatism that they represent. If they propose to suppress all organizations that do not receive their paternal blessing, they have no right to call themselves defenders of liberty. The opponents of radical doctrines would make much greater headway if they would devote their energy towards making intellectual arguments against communism, rather than snooping on a few college liberals.