SKOAL TO THE WAX HOUND

Two years ago, just before the Ski races at Stockholm, I decided to get in some early Fall sport, so October found me leaving my native Storvik for Lappland, about 50 mil distant (about 300 English miles.) After two days train ride across to Happaranda I joined my friend Lapp Linnen in his Lapp Kojja (cabin) where we rested in anticipation of a Reindeer hunt the following day. Early dawn found us on the trail of a herd, prepared for six to seven hours journey.

Our skils were of Lonwood, a very light flexible material, pointed at both ends to eliminate turning about of the skis, and averaging about 9 feet in length. We each carried a maple pole, spear shaped, about seven to eight feet long, with which to propell ourselves through the snow, first one side, then the other and then between our legs.

On the above mentioned trail I witnessed one of the finest exhibitions of fast cross-country skiing by the Lapplands, whom I believe to be born skiers and the most skillful race of skiers in the World. They are short, sturdy, broadshouldered, averaging five to five, five in height.

Several hours later found us squated around our open camp fire, inspecting our equipment for the following day. We scraped off the old wax down to the wood with a homemade scraper and applied out native Klister, which is a mixture of pine pitch and oil. We then heated the skis over the fire (as wax will not stick to wet wood) and with a wax mitten rubbed them to a high glassy finish, making them waterproof. The patience and tireless efforts of these Lapplanders has convinced me that waxing is almost as important as actual skill, as by proper waxing one can lessen slipping backward when climbing, and also prevent snow from caking on the skis. Many a boy has spoiled a days sport by improper waxing of his skis.

I believe, and instruct all my service men, that skis should be cleaned down to the bare wood, which must be absolutely dry. Then after several applications of oil have been absorbed. Klister should be burned in with a blow torch. This completes the base and the ski is ready for the wax.

Wax varies in hardness and is classified as hard, medium and soft. The hardest waxes are for gliding or increasing speed down hill. The soft waxes are for climbing, and medium waxes are used for both up and down hill. There are some exceptions to the above, as Lard wax will soften as the temperature rises. The climbing properties of waxes are increased if the wax is applied thickly, the most satisfactory method being to build it up in layers. However, many skillful skiers know nothing of the intricasics of ski wax.

My suggestion is to go to any reliable dealer and get about three grades of wax, and become familiar with the use of it. I will be glad to help solve personally your ski problems.