STOWE SKI TRAILS RANK IN NEW ENGLAND'S BEST

Forty Miles of Courses Built by C.C.C. Provide for All Skiers From Experts To Novices

Noted as having the longest skiing season in New England, Mount Mansfield at Stowe, Vermont, now boasts nearly 40 miles of trails. Forming a network about the mountain the trails include such well known runs as Nosedive and Chinclip. Trails for all types of skiers from expert to novice have been laid out by the C.C.C. under the guidance of local ski clubs.

The Carriage Road, leading through Smuggler's Notch, has been improved this year and added cutouts have increased the speed of the run. This trail starts in Smuggler's Notch and runs down the side of the mountain to the Lodge. Running down the Burlington side of the mountain, the Carriage Road from the Notch provides a long run of considerable speed.

The mountain is more accessible from Stowe than from Burlington. On this side a large open slope has been cleared which has a slope varying from 45 to 35 degrees and provides some of the best open slope skiing and one of the best Slalom courses in New England.