LOWELL WILL BE FETED BY DINNER IN BOSTON SUNDAY

Another Dinner Will Be Held in His Honor on Monday Evening in Lowell House Dining Hall

Celebrating the occasion of his eightieth birthday, President Lowell will be given a dinner by the Overseers and the Corporation of the University at the Harvard Club of Boston Sunday night. On Monday he will again be feted when he attends the annual dinner at Lowell House.

Plays Presented

No special observances are planned at the latter event since President Lowell prefers to be considered merely a spectator at this yearly observance, which in the beginning was arranged in honor of his birthday. Two short plays will be presented and several selections sung by the House Glee Club.

Contributor to Education

Since his inauguration in 1909 President Lowell has seen Harvard lead the way in some of the most notable contributions of modern times to American education. The introduction of the House Plan, the founding of the School of Business Administration, the tutorial system, and the system of concentration and distribution have all taken place under his leadership. As President Angell wrote on the occasion of Lowell's seventy-fifth birthday "his service to Harvard has been of the most notable character and has been recognized all over the country as contributing to the development of American education in many of its most fundamental aspects. His courageous and persistent support of higher and more severe ideals of accomplishments in the college has been everywhere influential."

Inaugural Address

Something of his hopes were expressed in the following, at his inauguration in 1909: "A greater solidarity in college, more earnestness of purpose and intellectual enthusiasm would mean much for our nation. It is said that if the temperature of the ocean were raised, the water would expand until the floods covered the dry land; and if we can increase the intellectual ambition of college students, the whole face of our country will change. When the young men shall see visions the dreams of old men will come true."