BASKETBALL TEAM DEFEATED BY PENN IN LEAGUE OPENER

Crimson Had Great Advantage Over Penn at Center Where Bill Gray Towered Over Quaker Pivot-Man

Coach Fesler's quintet Saturday night did not resemble the weak outfits which have worn the Crimson colors in past years despite a 34-31 defeat handed it by a hard playing Pennsylvania basketball team. This was the Crimson's opening encounter in the Eastern Intercollegiate League competition.

Playing a long passing game during the first 20 minutes of play, the Crimson's was an impressive attack, but a Quaker spurt in the closing minutes left the Fishermen trailing 22-13 at the half.

The Fishermen, however, came out shooting-mad in the second half. Calling their shots with amazing accuracy, they remained a constant threat even in the final minute of play. Only late field goals by Murray and Barrett saved the day for the home team.

The Crimson had a great advantage over the Red and Blue outfit at the center post. Bill Gray, towering over the Quaker pivot-man, won the jump with clock-like regularity while he was in action. During the time he spent on the bench John Herrick carried on just as effectively.

Lewis McGowan and George Lowman each sank three field goals, while Lowman in addition completed four foul throws to make him high scorer completed four foul throws to make him high scorer with ten points to his credit. In every game this season Lowman has come out with high scoring honors.