Formation of Ivy League Promulgated By Press of Seven Eastern Institutions

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Dartmouth, Columbia, Cornell Included in Group

Formation of an Ivy League to include the football teams of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth and Pennsylvania, was proposed today by the undergraduate newspapers of the seven institutions.

After a month's cooperative study of the plan, the newspapers of the colleges concerned, came to the unanimous agreement that this bold step was necessary if amateurism in college football was to be preserved.

Gridiron Standardization

Regulations to be drawn up by the League would standardize such things as pre-season practices, eligibility of players, post-season game rules, scouting agreements, etc. The college newspapers as a result of a careful cooperative investigation reached the conclusion that rules drawn up by these colleges would have the effect of raising and standardizing athletic practices on a level that would revive and maintain amateurism in college football.

Outside Games Possible

League members would play approximately five games a season with each other, thus allowing Harvard to play two or three games outside the League, such as Army and Navy. As each game with a League opponent would have a definite bearing on the championship of the conference, there would be an elimination of the games which now either prove nothing as far as standing of the teams are concerned, or are definitely uninteresting.

The proposal to form the Ivy League is the first and long awaited move to bolster and preserve amateur ideals in college athletics. A barrage of criticism of "professional university teams" has recurred every year since the 1929 Carnegie report, and, this proposal, if put into effect, would meet that criticism, it is felt.