Debut in Shakespeare Makes Walter Huston Feel Enthusiastic About His Productions in the Future

King Lear, The Tempest, Or Macbeth May Follow If Othello Is Well Received

"Dramatically, I like 'Othello', because it moves on continually, never stops, the plot never changes and there are no side plots. One of the world's finest scenes is the jealousy scene, from point of view of dramatic construction. It's the most interesting, I've ever played." Thus enthusiastically spoke Walter Huston, veteran actor, and star of last season's hit, "Dodsworth."

Two Ways of Attack

There are two ways of attacking Shakespeare: firstly, the intellectual point of view of the student; and secondly, the showman's point of view. The latter looks at the production as simply a play, written by a modern playwright. His object is to bring out the drama, make the audience understand the action, impress them.

Mr. Huston follows the second view. He believes that the only way to appreciate the Bard of Aven is to act in his plays, make them a part of you, and put them across to an audience. From experience, he finds that you put yourself at a disadvantage if you declaim the lines, and the moment that you start to believe what you're saying, the audience will.

Likes Romeo and Juliet

As to film versions of Shakespear, Mr. Huston has liked them all, especially "Rome and Juliet." He hands plaudits galore to Norma Shearer for her performance. He might film "Othello", if there is a public reaction for it. This play is adaptable for the screen, and many of the wars and battles alluded to could actually be shown. It "Othello", is well received, he plans to go ahead with "King Lear", the "Tempest" or "Macbeth".

Neutral

Non-committal on the rivalry over "Hamlet" by Leslle Howard and John Gielgud in New York, Mr. Huston merely said he enjoyed them equally, thought that both were ably produced, remarked that "the fellow that gives the best performance comes off best."

Not a college man, a fact that the regrets not a bit, he has put his heart, soul, and personality plus, into this production of "Othello". That's why Walter Huston is such a success.