THE GAMUT OF DEFECTS

Despite vigorous complaints such as those voiced in the Confidential Guide for the past two years, the much-needed improvements in Chemistry A are still overlooked. As an introduction to concentration in Chemistry, the course proves to be disheartening and even disastrous to many men. For brilliant students it is excellent, but for the rank and file it is too comprehensive. The lectures by Professor Lamb are the only redeeming feature, but even these are not without flaw. Reading is not coorelated with them, and test questions are often based on material not given in either lectures or reading.

The number of notable defects in this course reaches an all-time high. Laboratory sessions constantly extend over the three-hour period. Quizzes given both in labs and in section meetings are long and unnecessarily frequent. The twice-weekly check-up brings the course down to prep-school level. Section meetings held once a week consist of a twenty minute quiz and a half-hour discussion. Poorly conducted as a rule, they are dull and profitless.

With a minimum of seven hours a week spent on Chemistry A, the results should be more satisfactory than they have been in the past. Instead, the time appears to have been wasted, since the concensus of opinion is that the introductory course taught in the tutoring schools is far superior to that given by the college.

Analysis of the conditions prevalent in this course shows up these defects in all too brilliant colors. Although the necessary revision has been repeatedly suggested, no action has as yet been taken. In an introductory course especially, attention should be directed towards clarifying and correlating material for the student. Last year several men were persuaded by the apparent difficulty of the field not to concentrate in Chemistry. Laboratory periods should be limited to three-hour sessions, reading should be associated with the lectures, and section meetings should be made more valuable as a link between lectures, reading and Laboratory work.