Marked Increase in Student Employment Seen In Unofficial College Figures Recently Released

700 Jobs Have Already Been Filled-From About 1000 Applicants In University

A marked increase in the placement of student job seekers is indicated from the unofficial figures of the University Employment Bureau of December 1, which show a 10 per cent gain in jobs filled as compared with the same jobs a year ago. Added to this is the disclosure that about 1000 University applications for employment have been received up to date, which is slightly less than the number received last year at this time, and that already over 700 jobs have been filled.

Too much weight cannot be attached to these figures, however, as the income from those positions is not determined until the final report in July.

The typewriting bureau, headed by Clyde Lewis, takes the lead in the upward trend, evidenced by its handling at more Law School work so far this rear than in all of last year.

Probably the most incrative and cordinly the most steady employment is that had by the 126 student waiters, 12 of whom are in the Union, while the remaining 84 are scattered about in clubs and in cafeterias on the Square. Soliciting positions with which the student body is most familiar through their contact with persistent sellers of laundry contracts, pressing contracts, and magazine subscriptions, have provided employment for over 100 men. "Room for service" jobs have been secured for 32 men, while two such opposite types of work as chore jobs and entertaining have provided over 200 positions between them.

Other types of employment filled this season have included everything from tutoring, coaching, and guiding to cooking, furnace tending, and delivering.