Extension of Federal Powers Over Agriculture and Industry Voted Down in Crimson Poll

SUPREME COURT 5-4 DECISIONS OPPOSED BY 55 PER CENT

Harvard student opinion joins national feeling in opposition to an amendment for broadening federal powers.

Out of 977 undergraduates participating in the February Herald Tribune CRIMSON poll 422 declared themselves in favor of granting the government power to regulate agriculture and industry. Five hundred and fifteen spoke their hostility towards altering the Constitution for that purpose.

In the second issue on this week's ballot Cambridge sentiment likewise duplicated that of the country by voting 55 per cent for declaring void 5-4 decisions of the Supreme Court adversely affecting acts of Congress.

Analysis of Results

Harvard's 46 per cent for amending the Constitution actually places the college third in "progressive" sentiment to the Pacific Coast and the South. The latter was the only sector of the country in favor of an amendment. As opposed to the CRIMSON, New England put 72 per cent on the conservative side.

Reasons given by the New York paper for national hostility to an amendment were: voters object that regulation would seriously discourage business; voters charge that the A. A. A. and N. R. A. have proved the government a poor administrator.

5-4 Decisions

With regard to the issue of the Supreme Court, America is 53 per cent in favor of making a majority on the bench of more than 5-4 necessary for declaring acts of Congress unconstitutional.

Again opinion at Harvard, 55 per cent against 5-4 votes, discords with that of New England which with the Middle Atlantic and East Central States demands maintenance of the 5-4 majority. Of 526 Harvard men favoring a change, 275 voted for 6-3 counts, 113 for 7-2, 26 for 8-1, and 92 for unanimous rulings.