PARAMOUNT & FENWAY

"Freshman Love" Shows What College Life Should Be; "My Marriage" is Splendid Mock Heroic

Those who find the student's life a prosaic tedium will be particularly glad to know that at least in celluloid whimsy universities are still being run on rhythm, and Joe College is still at large. "Freshman Love" is the latest exposition of the rollicking, carefree, hilarious whirl that is the lot of the American scholar. Granted that the healthy reaction toward that title is a groan. No attempt will be made here to induce anyone to look at this picture, but the thing is not quite so bad as the foregoing classification implies.

Patricia Ellis, for example, is not a wholly unattractive young woman. Her coiffure has been strangely mutilated, but her charms are not completely stifled thereby. If one's mood is unusually bland, he might possibly be amused by the antics of Frank McHugh. And the dance accompanying 'Collegiana," the main song, is weirder than truckin' and divertingly original. But the plot, adapted from a story by George Ade, is weaker than most in which Miss Ellis has appeared, and nobody in the show, least of all Miss Ellis, knows the rudiments of acting. Our parting advice is not to worry about missing "Freshman Love."

The other picture scarcely improves matters. It is called "My Marriage," and it deals with a proud society dame's being humbled by an innocent young lady and her chivalrous admirer. The last words before the final embrace are "Don't let an old woman's pride and stupidity keep you apart." They also struck us as the last straw