SHAW BEAT DURRANCE IN SLALOM LAST YEAR

HAD LITTLE EARLY TRAINING AT CONCORD, NEW HAMPSHIRE

In his two years of skiing, Bob Shaw has come to be one of the best all around men on the boards in the college.

It was not until last year that he started competing, and his previous experience had been limited to occasional weekends taken from schoolwork in Concord, New Hampshire.

Shaw tried out for the team in his Freshman year, but failed to make it. Then last year he not only skied with the team, but also beat Dick Durrance in the slalom race at the Dartmouth Carnival.

Durrance, a skier famed for his speed and acrobatics, is one of the three Dartmouth men in Germany with the Olympic team. It was in this race that Shaw also got his second class rating.

In Olympic Tryouts

In the Appalachian Mountain Club race he got a fourth over the Wildcat trail at Pinkham Notch and was on the team all the year, going to Dartmouth just for the slalom as noted above, and entering the Olympic tryouts held under the auspices of the Hochgebirge Club.

This year he has taken up jumping and done very well, taking eighth place in the Williams Carnival with jumps of 75 and 85 feet. In the downhill line, he came in second in the University race at Pinkham earlier this season.