Ridder Claims Boon-doggling Misused When Applied to WPA Administration

Worthwhile Projects Carried Out in New York City by Skilled and Unskilled Labor

By achieving its purpose of relieving distress among the unemployed by giving them useful work of a public character to do, the Works Progress Administration is a definite success, stated Victor Ridder, director of the W. P. A.

"We had on our rolls on January 31 a total of 245,804 people, all of whom are living on the earnings from these jobs, without any other substantial sources of income. These persons are ready to step back into regular jobs as rapidly us industry can place them."

Although the majority on the W. P. A. rolls are unskilled workers, yet there are many technical and professional workers, for, states Ridder, "the depression chose its victims from no one class of the population.

"The engineering projects which are being undertaken in New York," continued Ridder, "are renovating the entire city plant in all its ramifications, and they provide jobs for the laborer, for the worker in the skilled trades, and for large numbers of engineers and draftsmen.

Since this work offered no opportunities for the teacher, artist, musician, actor, or writer, a Service Division was established which enables these people to put their specialized training to use in rendering effective service.

Ridder defended his work from the charge of "been-doggling" by stating that none of the projects come out of thin air. They are all, he said, carried out at the request and under the direction of some City, State, or Federal department, or of some non-profit institution such as university or museum. "We do not undertake silly projects, as this word, when applied to them, makes people believe."